Jessica’s Vegan Chili Recipe
- 1 lb. vegetarian ground beef substitute or textured vegetable protein
- 28 oz. can of unsalted canned, crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. concentrated tomato paste
- 15 oz. can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz. can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- One large sweet yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup sweet potato, diced
- 1/2 cup sweet corn kernels
- 1/2 cup zucchini, diced
- 1/4 cup carrots, diced
- 1/4 cup poblano pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño, minced (optional)
- 3 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tbsp. ground chipotle pepper
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
In a large pot, sauté onion, garlic, sweet potato, zucchini, carrot, poblano, and optional jalapeño in the olive oil. Add your cumin and chipotle, and cook at medium-high until onions are translucent and spices are fragrant. Turn heat to low, and add your ground “beef” or TVP. Sauté until thoroughly incorporated with vegetables. Mix in your crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and beans. Raise heat to medium and cook until vegetables are no longer crunchy. If you’d prefer a bit more texture, add everything but the carrots until halfway through cooking, then mix them in.
Additional add-ins may include crumbled Soyrizo, butternut squash, or any of your favorite vegetables.
Serve with sliced avocado and a healthy dollop of vegan sour cream (or cashew cream) and enjoy!
Jessica – San Francisco Bay Area