Christina’s Tropical Quinoa Surprise
- 2-3 cups tricolor quinoa
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus extra for water (water, I have been using Kangen and love it)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, I like NUTIVA that I purchase from Whole foods, divided
- 1 organic sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 large red organic onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch organic kale, trimmed and thinly sliced
- Juice from 1 medium lime
- 1/4 cup macadamia nuts, (chopped)
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Toast quinoa on a baking sheet for 8 to 10 minutes, then cool. Bring 3 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add a pinch of salt and toasted quinoa, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow quinoa to remain covered for an additional 10 minutes.
Increase the oven temperature to 400°F. Spoon 1 tablespoon of coconut oil onto a large rimmed baking sheet or roasting pan and heat briefly in the oven to melt. Swirl the pan to coat, add sweet potato, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper, and toss to combine. Roast sweet potatoes in a single layer until tender and lightly browned, about 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool.
Heat remaining coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until browned, about 5 minutes. Add kale and cook, stirring, until wilted and just tender (but still bright green), another 3 to 4 minutes.
Use a fork to fluff quinoa and transfer it to a large bowl. Add sweet potatoes, kale and onion mixture and lime juice. Stir to combine, then garnish with chopped macadamia nuts and serve slightly warm or at room temperature.
If you have a vegan recipe that you would like to share with us, please submit it along with your picture to GotGreenz@GetZENtv.com.